Saturday 21 July 2012

Mog's Rainbow Baby Blanket - Pattern


Right, as promised, here is the pattern for Mog's rainbow baby blanket. This was my first ever crochet design, and apart from my slightly wonky edges, (it was only the second or third thing I had ever crocheted), I am very, very proud of it! I hope you enjoy making yours as much as I did mine...

(Oh, and please don't be put off by the ruffled edge.. it is surprisingly easy!)

(The yarn I used for this was Patons Smoothie DK, apart from the deep purple yarn, which was Patons Fab DK. It would have been better to have used the Smoothie DK throughout, but I couldn't get the right purple at the time I was buying it all.) I used red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple,  teal, a variegated lilac and a variegated cream.

UK terms are used.
(US terms in [italics])

(This pattern makes a blanket which fits nicely on baby while they're in their car-seat. Of course, you can make it wider if you wish, but remember, you will need to increase the amount of stripes you make.)

Using the RED yarn, make a foundation chain of 88.

Row 1 - 1tr [1dc] into fourth chain from hook and then 1tr [1dc] into each chain until the end. Turn.

Row 2 - Ch 3, then 1tr [1dc] into second stitch from hook. 1tr [1dc] into each stitch until end. Turn.

Row 3 - Ch 3, then 1tr [1dc] into second stitch from hook. 1tr [1dc] into each stitch until end. Turn and fasten off.

Row 4 - Join the CREAM yarn into the last stitch made. Ch 1, then 1dc [1sc] into each stitch until end. Turn.

Row 5 - Ch 1, then 1dc [1sc] into each stitch until end. Turn and fasten off.

Row 6 - Join the ORANGE yarn into last stitch made. Ch 3, then 1tr [1dc] into each stitch until end. Turn.

Row 7Ch 3, then 1tr [1dc] into second stitch from hook. 1tr [1dc] into each stitch until end. Turn.

Row 8Repeat as for row 8. Turn and fasten off.

Row 9 - Join the CREAM yarn and repeat as for row 4. Turn.

Row 10 - Repeat as for row 5. Turn and fasten off.

Do you see the pattern here? Continue in this way until you have 13 coloured stripes, (RED to PURPLE, 1 stripe of LILAC, PURPLE back to RED).

Ruffled border

Join the CREAM yarn in any edge stitch except a corner one. Ch1, then 1dc [1sc] into each stitch, apart from the corner, in which you need to work 3dc [3sc]. Join the last stitch to the first stitch with a slip-stitch. Work another row like this, join with a slip-stitch and fasten off.

Join the TEAL yarn in any edge stitch except a corner one. Ch3, then 1tr [1dc] into each stitch, apart from the corners, 5tr [5dc] are needed in these. Join to top chain of ch3 with a slip-stitch. Fasten off.

Join CREAM yarn in any edge stitch except a corner. Work a row of dc [sc] in each stitch, 3dc [3sc] in corners as before. Join and fasten off.

And now for the ruffle. If it's your first time, just take a deep breath and then begin. You'll soon realise how simple it is to work. Trust me, I'm a hooker.. ;)

Join the TEAL yarn in what you wish to be the bottom left-hand corner of the blanket. Now,  ch3, work 2tr [2dc] into the first stitch, then work 3tr [3dc] in every stitch along the bottom edge, including 3tr [3dc] in corner. Do the same again up the side, 3tr [3dc] in the corner again. Work 1tr [1dc] in each stitch along the top edge. 3tr [3dc] in corner and then 3tr [3dc] into each stitch along final edge. Join and fasten off.

I hope that all made sense! If you find any problems with the pattern, please let me know and I will amend them.

Please feel free to use my patterns to make items for yourself, as gifts, or to sell. All I ask is that you do not republish the pattern as your own, and if you post pics of items you have made from my patterns, then please mention me and my blog. :) Thank you!

1 comment:

The Singing Rev said...

Hi there!
This is such a beautiful blanket! I’m so happy to find your blog although I’m sad you’ve stopped posting! Every blessing x